Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Corrugated Iron- Australian Icon


Corrugated iron
Corrugated iron is found in one form or another in most Australian backyards and without fail in the yards of rural Australia. It has acquired its own mystique, from shearing sheds to shearers quarters, to the back yard escape to the shed studio and has recently become a favoured building material for housing , particularly as one of Australia's most recognised architects, Glen Murcutt won the Pritzker Prize for Architecture in 2002. Murcutt's designs blend with the bush and is sensitive to its intrusion on the environment. I would so love to have a Murcutt house, but it is likely to remain a dream......

Rosalie Gascoigne
used it in her art work as a found object and others have used it as well. We have our fair share in the backyard some of which has acquired the pleasing patina of peeling paint and rust

As you can probably tell I did not achieve anything much creative today- did do my walk, have started rereading Malte Laurids Brigge by Rainer Maria Rilke looking at how it deals with memory and how memory pervades most objects. He wrote a rather wonderful description of The Lady and The Unicorn tapestries in the Cluny Museum in Paris- he almost brings it alive.

Ohh and bindiis are sharp seed pods a bit like three cornered jacks that trap many un unwary thonged foot ( thongs here are flip flops) walking through the bush.

4 comments:

Karoda said...

My instant impression of the corrugated iron was wow! what wonderful colours and patterning in this piece of fabric...great inspiration.

Anonymous said...

And here I thought Bindiis were cute little girls.

teri

Anonymous said...

Silly question perhaps.... where do I get printed corrugated iron fabric from??? I have a beautiful idea for a quilt using a combination of applique and stitchery, composed of pics from my parent's farm, but I need this fabric.

raineywood said...

I am also looking for corrugated Iron fabric..