Friday, December 14, 2007

Coral Variations #17 and #18


I finished yesterdays Coral Variation 17. I am always surprised how different they look with the satin stitching- it really sets them off and is an important lesson in paying good attention to any binding you might put on a quilt. The red/orange piece is Variation 18.Of course they are for sale for $50US inclusive of postage. They measure 8 3/4 incehs square and the other day when I was at Ikea in Melbourne I found the perfect sized shadow box for them which I will try and show tomorrow.

Thanks to Soul at Play for the websites referring to cob building and green building. I have looked at this sort of thing before, and cob building would work well here as we have clay soil but I don't think I have enough time to do it or the skills. I suppose I could always learn but then I don't think there would be much time left for creating anything. I really have to get into creating work for my exhibition next year which I am thinking of calling Caravanserai, which gives me some imaginative scope for creating the catalogue I have been talking about- it allows more tangents and explorations. What image comes to yoru mind when you hear the word "caravanserai"?
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Kristin L said...

I didn't realize until #17 that these quiltlets were 2 layers with a bit cut way. The extra patterning on #17 adds an interesting depth -- like looking through distorted windows.

Guzzisue said...

OK,you asked for it:) Caravanserai conjures up images of fully laden camels crossing a desert! what a great idea to play with.

Olga Norris said...

For me the word immediately brings sumptuous restful dark-in-a-blisteringly-hot-day shaded tents near an oasis to mind. Sounds a brilliant title for your exhibition!

Linda B. said...

Strange perhaps, but I think of geometry! The floorplans of some of the old buildings were amazing - make an interesting twist on Tifaifai

Shirley Goodwin said...

To me, it's Berbers, desert sands, marketplaces full of colour...and camels!

No, I'm not working at present, except on the dye business. I've bought a "day job" business (financial services) but won't take over that for another month. I'm trying to make the most of the down time creating stuff.

carrie said...

camels, tents, sand, silks, spices, foot/hoofprints, shimmering heat, icy cold, fires, water......

I really like your corals