Saturday, March 12, 2005

Embroideries


Embroideries Posted by Hello

I started making these embroidered cards about 7 or 8 years ago- they are small tifaifai's, about 7 inches square and I mount them on card like khadi paper ( A4 size/legal paper) and then stitch them- if you click on the photo you will see the stitching.I sell them for around $30 US each- I haven't kept count how many I have made over the years. I draw them fresh each time so that there are variations. Since I have been in England I have finished eight of them. There is a type of paper I get at home which is a bit better to sew on than khadi paper- I even did a sort of quilt on a large piece of momogami paper- but quilt shows didn't get it and the paper exhibitions I entered politely returned my entry with a note to say that it was textile- well yes but mounted on paper and the paper being an integral part of the whole- ummm... Anyway the orange fabric has been hand printed with a lino cut I made and the whole has been pretty heavily stitched. I am falling in the hole I was worried about- what am I going to do next??? I want to do a substantila piece but the head is blank...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful...!! I love this embroidered card.

Junott

Anonymous said...

How the heck do you manage to cut them so small?? What kind of scissors are you using? Do you free cut or make a paper pattern? I ask because I tried to do a small tifaifai the other day for a progressive and failed terribly....

teri

Elle said...

I learned something new today! I did not know what a tifaifai was until I saw your blog. I had to look it up. Yours is so delicate and pretty!