Thursday, April 10, 2008

Syrian Textiles and My Place

Forest Fire IV SOLD

Forest Fire V SOLD

Woven Goat hair band for Bedouin tent
Ornamental band from the Palmyra Region

Two more forest pieces for sale- they measure 100cms x 110cms and cost $40 US inclusive of postage.

The woven brown and white textile is woven goats hair. They are woven in bands and sewn together to make the walls of bedouin tents which you can see scattered throughout the Syrian desert. I bought this particular piece in the Souq in Aleppo. It is woven out of goat hair because goat hair is more water resistant, also the goat hair is readily available. I know there are many more outstanding pieces , particularly antique ones- but as I had seen these bands being woven, a small piece of bedoiuin tent had to come home with me.

The Ornamental Band is actually out of a book I have entitled Au Fil du Desert: Tentes et Tissages des Pasteurs Nomades de Meditrranee, which is actually a catalogue of the collection of nomadic textiles of Arnaud Maurieres and Eric Ossart ( does anyone know whether this is on permanent display anywhere- perhaps the Maison des Tisserands a Cordes-sur-Ciel in the Tarn?). It wasn't an easy book to get! I am particularly drawn to this band because of the colouring and even more so because it comes form the Palmyra region. I am very very tempted to make a quilt with half square triangles ( which will send those who know me well into gales of laughter).It is so simple yet so beautiful.

MY PLACE- I am the Australian co-ordinator fo this travelling exhibition in conjunction with Anne Scott from New Zealand Quilter and Jeanette Botha from South Africa. I have now prepared entry forms for any interested Australians due to the fact that I have had a lot of expressions of interest. Accordingly the works will be selected. If you would like an entry form please contact me.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi Dijanne, I've found the book on amazon.fr ...!!
I like these wowen fabrics and their smelling
Monique

Resume Writing Service said...

I found this informative and interesting blog so i think so its very useful and knowledge able.I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me.