Wednesday, April 16, 2008

From the Garden

I am doing my taxes- I am late but there has been so many interruptions it was hard to get a clear space to get to them- plus I always hate doing them so put it off and put it off ( not a good thing to do and each year I say I will be better next year but it doesn't seem to happen). I don't mind all the other admin- but this one chore really gets to me.

I have been having breaks in the garden. The tomatoes are very late this year ( although I usually have tomatoes into May) but this time they did not start turning red until a couple of weeks ago.If this weather keeps up I shall still get a bumper crop- will have to make more slow roast tomatoes- these are really delicious and freeze reasonably well and are lovely to use in casseroles, and of course pasta sauce. The zucchinis are still going madly- though I have run out of a bit of enthusiasm for them. The eggplants and peppers weren't much chop this year but the chillies are good. The lemon tree is loaded- it was badly frost affected last winter and I really missed the lemons- now I will have so many that I won't know what to do with them all. The persimmons are turning orange and the leaves a lovely red coloured, though th efruit is small due the dry conditions.There is even a couple of kilos olives on the trees! And the king protea has put on a gorgeous display.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know you are not alone: I am also doing taxes today (VAT for the first 3 months) and also hate doing this. I am jealous of your garden with all the crops! Have a persimmon for me because I didn't get any good ones this year (in the shops that is) and what about baking zucchini bread - freezes very well and is always a treat.

Deb Lacativa said...

Same sentiments here on the taxes.
In in the South we struggled with possible frost last night - all my seedlings are covered with Mason jars. The idea of slow roasting and freezing tomatoes has me thinking of actually planting a row this year!

Digitalgran said...

I love hearing about the crops you are able to grow. All so different to the things we grow here in the UK!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Dijanne,

Iused to have a huge lemon tree and a couple of times made lemon Chutney it was delicious and rather different.

Anonymous said...

Dij,

Not is lemon chutney a good idea, I have read a recipe for mid eastern preserved lemons. The book is packed away. Given my fondness for things acid it sounded good.

I've lost most of my lemon crop to a hard freeze two years running. t