Thursday, August 23, 2007
Voila! Printed fabric
I traced the pattern onto the lino with a sharp instrument and then cut the pattern into the lino. I printed onto cotton and habutai with textile printing ink ( Trapsuutjies). I like the effect on the habutai- the softness of the fabric contrasting nicely with the "hardness" of the pattern. I can see dense hand stitching in the areas that are orangey/pink- or perhaps dense machne stitching- so that the pattern stands out as relief. I am still thinking about it. The linocut I made is a bit different to the original woodblock which looks as if it is an outline block and the different parts of the pattern would have been painted in different colours. Damascenes decorated everything and were highly skilled in painterly effects. It may even be a block to print onto ceramics and again different sections of the print would have been painted in different colours.