Friday, December 30, 2005

What I am Working On

















I started working on this quilt in 2004 and came to a screaming halt. I had been hand stitching and it was going to take a lot of stitching to finish it because I had hand stitched so densely. But the other day when showing a friend she asked why are you hand stitching it all? And I must admit when I thought about it I wondered too. So today I put it under the machine and machine stitched around the printed areas and then put in some detail stitching near the trees and will find some foliage like stitching to put in the foreground. I like the contrast between the hand stitching and the heavy machine stitching I am doing. And now I am going to put it down because today has been 39 degrees celsius- and it is hot hot hot and I have still to cook dinner.Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Frances said...

I love the hand stitching and want to touch it....
I like the contrast between the hand and machine stitch too and hand stitching is vveerryyy time consumming,
I couldn't cope with 39 celsius, that's hot!!!

Dijanne wishing you very a happy hogmanay FrancES

Olga Norris said...

I love the colours in this piece of yours, and can imagine how hot it must make you feel just looking at it in the heat. Isn't it interesting what designs can and can't/shouldn't take different kinds of stitching: hand or machine. I keep kicking myself for designing pieces which need hand rather than machine stitching. It must have been a great excitement for you to find that you could effectively use both on the piece. Good luck for 2006.

Anonymous said...

I love this quilt. It touches me somewhere I haven't felt before. Of all your works I like this the best.
Sally B (UK)