Friday, January 28, 2011

I am feeling like a bit of a charlatan on the textile front. Nothing seems to be emerging from my hands, and already another week has passed by and I have so very little to show for it. I know when I am worrying I often find it impossible to work, but usually something eventually emerges- but nothing is talking to me or jumping into my hands.

It also makes me feel a bit bereft- what if I have lost the touch, what if I never think of anything else, what if I am simply meant to be a supermarket check out person or dog washer?I have been applying for jobs but not getting anywhere fast. I have been to see people about my resume , I have phoned people, I have  tried to use as many contacts as i have but  nothing is emerging out of the fog. I have arranged one class in machine skills here in Geelong at  the Geelong Sewing Centre but that is only 3 hours for three weeks which isn't going to pay  the bills. And yet... I get regular  enquiries form Europe but alas I am here.


I did try and put one piece together today- not sure about it ......
Of course stitching has to go in which will change how it looks entirely,but I am undecided what colour thread to use to  bring out the village scene.

The winner of the auction for  Flood Relief was Julie Howard- the quilt is on its way to her now- thank you so much for supporting this auction , so many people have lost so much.

8 comments:

marion said...

Thank you so much for the book that was on your blog, 'The Wilder Shores of Love'. I have been reading it and I am enjoying it immensely.

Dijanne Cevaal said...

Yes it is a good read- isn't it?I am halfway through Aimée Dubucq de Rivery. And her story puts me a bit in mind of Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys- a sequel of sorts to Jane Eyre- but the story of the woman in the attic- also an excellent read.
And now of course I have to read about Lady Hester Stanthorpe. My only gripe is that the author does indulge in a bit of typecasting which I am not sure rings true.

Mark said...

Don't loose hope - I know that it sounds glib - there is a job out there for you just you haven't found it yet.
I really love you work and the colours that you use. You must have an amazing stash of fabrics.

Anonymous said...

I really love the selection of fabrics and your village scene. Can't wait to see how you stitch it. Your pieces are always so intriguing. A great mix of tribal and print. You really are quite inspiring.

Monique 78 said...

I'm sure inspiration will come as you're working. I understand you feel so upset not finding a job. Hope you'll get some classes in the neighbourhood.
I like the piece with the village scene; waiting for the stitching.

ValerieL said...

I know that you will continue to make beautiful pieces of fabric art. Your work is amazing. Don't lose heart.

Agnes said...

Hello,

These moments are always delicate, and heavy ... I understand, difficult to create something when our head is full of worries and anxiety. I hope that this difficult moment does not last so that you regain your creative spirit, one that allows you to do all these wonderful things and delights us.
For the French news we saw pictures of the hurricane, I hope you were not affected you or people around you?
Good luck to you

Olga Norris said...

I love the stitched khadi cloth of 11 Jan.

From someone who at present is also scraping the bottom of some barrel I say just keep on going. There have been too many times when I felt that I would never put together another original piece, and then as if by magic, ....

By the way, I really enjoyed your comment on Jane Dunnewold's latest post.