Saturday, August 09, 2008

Inspired by Syrian Carpet




I have finished the Syrian horse rug inspired piece. I am really pleased with how it came up- It will get tassels on the points on the bottom- just haven't decided what size yet- but I think it may end up with tassels made from rayon that I bought in the Tassels souq in Damascus.The colour is really rich and deep just as I wanted it. This quilt is for sale ( haven't decided what to call it- any ideas?) for $2500 on condition that I exhibit it in Munich during September and in Belgium in early October- and then it can be shipped. It measures 35 inches (90cm) x 57 inches ( 145 cm)

One of the things that happened as I worked was the serendiptious combinations of a number of elements- it wasn't only the colour of the horse rug I have which inspired these colours, but also the shapes of a very old textile I had drawn when visiting the Damascus Museum- it was in indigo and red and the motif is very similar though at the time I did this I could not find my journal and found it the other day when unpacking stuff, and one further element was a replication of the diamond motif from a cylinder seal- I am fascinated by cylinder seals- again an entry in my journal. And In some ways it also reminds me of mashrabeya.

Don't forget the Lovely Lutradur cd is now available details of content are in my previous post- simply email me ( which you can do by clicking on my profile)- and also I have 72 Ways Not to Stipple or Meander available as a spiral bound book or cd.

4 comments:

jude said...

wonderful interpretation....

Judy said...

Hi! Dijanne,

Quilt is beautifulthe tassels will, make it sing.

Unknown said...

thanks for posting the journal pages. I always find design sources of great interest.

Unknown said...

Stunning and inspirational piece! I love jumping overe here from time to time and seeing your amazing work.