Saturday, June 30, 2007

Horizontal or Vertical?

 

 


I pinnned this forest quilt before I went overseas in february and pulled it out of a pile of things sitting heaped in my room. Ipinned it up and immediately thought why did I pin this as forest- on the vertical it could also be river- I am still undecided at this stage.But I do have to finish it soon as I need the pins for some other work I want to get on with.

I have been reading the Matisse biography and his stays over summer in 1896 and 1897 at Belle-Ile in Brittany- where other artists would gather ( I am also a bit shocked by how appalling their diet was- it makes me grateful for our big garden). It is something I would like to do one of these days- to be working with other artists at close proximity- for a month or more ( I have given up applying for residencies, it takes tooo much energy and time and always leads to disappointment)- rather than the odd day here and there. I could do with some of that now- I neeed firing up! I have also from time to time craved a mentor. It seems as if Moreau- Matisse's teacher for some time really enthused art in Matisse's mind and in his imagination- that eventually lead to anothe rlevel altogether. I have sseen the Gustave Moreau Museum in Paris- it is one of those Parisian treasures. His studio was housed in a quite large house- I could not get over how prolific Moreau was with drawing - and whilst his work and especially his later work was of a symbolist bent- he certainly also had an eye for pattern and decoration.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Carol said...

I can see why you pinned it as a horizontal, but as you say there is something about it as a vertical too?!

Anonymous said...

My vote is for the horizontal, but that's only because I absolutely love your forest quilts. However, art-making is not democratic, and I know I'll enjoy looking at anything you might do with it as a vertical as well. I sympathise with your desire for a mentor/creative group. I think we could all benefit from those types of relationships.

Anonymous said...

I like to follow your progress, and thanks for sharing.
Beautifull colours. The upright version lifts my spirit, it contains movement. In the horizontal I lost myself in the space behind the trees. What kind of emotion do you want to evoke?

Joyce said...

I totally love both of them but have a tiny preference for the horizontal. I'm not sure why.

Anonymous said...

Dijanne
Last weekend I went to the Clark Museum. They had 'The Unknown Monet' exhibit that showed his early pieces, his pencil sketch books, caricatures, pastels, watercolors and some oils. It seems he traveled and frequently met with other artists to draw and paint. He developed friendships with others that lasted his lifetime. I think it does help to revive the spark to work and speak with others of similar ilk. I know your art and thoughts inspire me.
Joei
Rhode Island

Shirley Goodwin said...

I can see it working either way but I prefer the horizontal.

Kati said...

I like it more vertical.