Sunday, July 01, 2007

Texture and line






I need some help in regard to the first photo. It is a painting of I thinkof a Madonna in the Louvre- but as I did not have a notebook with me I did not record who painted this painting.I have looked at the Louvre website and cannot find any reference to this Madonna. I photographed it because I thought the colour beautiful and the cloth so rich and lush ( I don't often photograph in Museums) I would like to know who painted this Madonna? It was in the Renaissance room- either at the beginning of the Italian room or otherwise in the Flemish section. From the clothing it looks as if it may be sixteenth century.

And thank you for your comments about horizontal v vertical- I ended up opting for the horizontal. I decided what bothered me was the lack of definition of the lines suggesting trees.In other forest quilts I have done those lines in the middle ground were much more defined in the dyeing process. But that thought did not strike me until last night as I sat looking and trying to emulate in my journal a drawing by Vincent van Gogh of Haystacks 1888 out of
"The Unknown Matisse; A LIfe of Henri Matisse: The Early Years, 1869-1908 " by Hilary Spurling p139. There is so much visual texture in Van Gogh's drawing created by mark making- sometimes you forget these things when you are working with textile. Textile is so much more two dimensional and whilst texture is the one thing that textile has over other two dimensional mediums the texture is quite different to that created by mark making on paper.I sometimes forget that not only can you create dimensional texture but also visual/mark making texture. Hence the heavily stitched tree trunks picking up on the lines already there but giving them more definition.

4 comments:

Joyce said...

I too love the rich colors in the painting but I have no idea who did it. The trees are looking good with the stitching on the trunks.

The Idaho Beauty said...

I'm glad you stayed with the horizontal orientation. The trees were so clear to me, and now they are even clearer with the addition of stitching.

Digitalgran said...

I'm sorry I can't help with the Madona either, but the trees are looking good.

Anonymous said...

I'll probably go to le Louvre next week. I'll try to give you a help about the Madona painter.