Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Motley Crew

 


Well the dolls are multiplying. The weather is so cold at the moment that it is too cold to sit and sew in my workroom- so I have been hogging the heater and handsewing these little chaps. I did make another lino-cut of a face. They remind me of griots and especially the old card I have of a griot which you can see in my first entries when I started my blog way back in October 2004- so once that thought struck me they took on an entirely new life.Griots used to be the singers and oral historians in many African communities- much like bards were in Wales and no doubt how many stories got passed around before the advent of printing and the ability to print many books.It made the hand stitching more appropriate and each seemed to take on a personality of story teller in some way.So with that in mind and being a lover of stories and seeing I missed my 100,000th visitor to my site whilst I was overseas- I will give away one of these chaps to three different people who pop up their hand first( ie the first three)- but there is a small snag - you will have to make up a story.Please respond via the comments function.You will need to send me the story, after , which I will put on the blog with your permission of course and full acknowledgement. I don't mind what sort of story- it can be true or madeup- it doesn't need to be long, but a story that you would like to pass on.

I had to brave the cold outside to dye some fabric, thankfully the rain stayed away- I will show some pics tomorrow- but wet, the colours looked pretty good- hope they stay that way as I have to send some to England to The Wittering Rainbow ( aka Annabel)
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I shall stop complaining about our weather!! Love the dolls.

McIrish Annie said...

loVE YOUR gRIOTS! AND WOULD LOVE TO SHARE A STORY TO GET ONE!1 hOW OUTRAGEOUS DO YOU WANT IT TO BE!??

Anonymous said...

Dijanne
Got lots of storys...got lost in the jungle in Costa Rica for 18 hrs by myself...lived in Alaska for 2 years, flying around from village to village ...when to Prague less than 6 months after The Wall in Berlin came down and drew pictures to 'speak' to people ...just tell me which one you'd like to hear. =-) I'll trade for a doll

Joei
Rhode Island

Dianne said...

Hi Dijanne, first posting, but have been following your blog for a while. I love your Griots and would love to trade a story for one. I'm sure I can come up with something!!!! (I might have to add a few embellishments after reading what Joei has to write about)....

The WestCountryBuddha said...

I've only just tuned into your blog after a marathon week of planting and gardening - sorry to have missed this post but never mind. My goodness those fabrics look good! Someone is going to be very lucky. Annabel x ps Queen Elizabeth the 1st said that time heals everything. It's the only plus I can find to it whizzing past so quickly.