Thursday, August 17, 2006

Guinea Pig needed

Rainbow asked about my Hundertwasser quilt- I have posted before , inJanuary 2005- I tried to create a link I hope it works! The colours are not true on my monitor anyway- but having laid out catalogues in the past before anything with turquoise in it can raid problems- especially greens that are turquoise based.

I have been working all day on the 72 squares ( Title now "Seventy Two Squares Without Stippling or Meandering-Ideas for Free Machine Quilting") and have got it into pdf format- there are still a few things to do, i forgot the overall shot- but I need a guinea pig ( one only sorry) to see if they can get the document in the pdf format and whether it comes through ok.Ok guinea pig has been found- Nic Bridges, whom I met in a class at Mossvale not so long ago, but whose work I have know of through the magazines It's taken ages to crop all the scans and then to think of names....Once I know I can deliver it as a booklet or a pdf file I will work out a price- the pricing is really hard- any ideas would be appreciated. It has turned into 80 odd pages ( so almost most average quilt book size but I am aware that the format is slightly different) 72 pages contain 5inch square scans of each square with a description or ideas for use. I am presuming some foreknowledge of continuous line quilting. So any ffedback on price would be much appreciated.A figure of around the AUS $ 10-15 was going on in my head ( that's about $7.60 -11.00 US,6- 8 euros or 4.30- 6.50 GBP)- is that too much?. The booklet would be a bit more because I would have to print it, and would also include postage( I am thinking with a spiral binding as 80 pages is too much to staple)

And I have used a photo of a forest quilt only because it uses a couple of different methods of machine quilting.

I have arranged to visit the Bernina factory in Switzerland after Val d'Argent- I believe it is an interesting tour. Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Nic Bridges said...

I'll put my hand up to be your guinea pig, if you like!!

Anonymous said...

Are you selling yourself short by proposing to sell it for $10-15 Aus
would suggest no less than $15 for disc copy. $20 would not be unreasonable.
Rasa

The WestCountryBuddha said...

Thank you for that Dijanne. It's a very beautiful quilt with colours that make my mouth water. The booklet thingy (spiral bound) seems a little cheap at about £6 and I think you could charge a bit more and still sell lots (at a guess, how about £8.50 plus pp)

Cathy said...

Here's a link to self publishing company I discovered recently. Not sure it would fit what you need but thought it might be worth checking out. I think your proposed prices are very reasonable.
http://www.lulu.com/products/books/paperback.php
Also, I wanted a closer look at this gorgeous quilt, when I clicked on the pic I was taken to a weird site
http://www.putfile.com/alcoholic_maniac/media. thought you'd like to know just in case

Joyce said...

Although I am shooting myself in the foot here, because I would probably want to buy your book, I think your prices are pretty low. You have to make sure you make some profit and I wonder if you will at that price?

Stitch 'n Dye said...

Dijanne

I too think you are looking at selling too low. I just had a look at a selection of more or less 'self published' books that tutors etc have published here in the UK. They all cost about £6.50 - £8 - yes they have a coloured cover - but they are all no more then 20 - 24 pages.

The Maggie Grey CD cost about £12 or £15 if I remember correctly.

Dijanne you do put such huge effort into these things - and after all it's your creativity and effort that's gone into this - make sure you get it right:) You are worth it after all.

And I am looking forward to being able to get a copy by pdf - Oh how exciting:) Off to F o Q at Birmingham tomorrow and hoping to pick up some lutradur to play with.
Sue x

Anonymous said...

Hi Dijanne,
I already posted a message on quiltkletsers, where I told we are walking the same road. I have not made 72 ideas yet but I am up to 30. For my courses in Oldenzaal as I told you and at Bennink Almelo. If you are publishing your 72 blocs, may I buy one? I have not responded for the last month or so because I have been ill due to the very hot weather over here the last weeks and we were on holidays in Tsjechie and after that I was not quite well. Ik ben in Tsjechie gebeten door een of ander insect had daarna een arm zoals mijn bovenbeen. Sorry for the Dutch words, I don't know how to translate ( bitten by an insect and having an arm as thick as an upperleg? )

Much love and greetings, also for your family:
Gertjan and Ina Klugt.
Lemele