Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Stone Angel in Fabric


Angel- full view

I decided I would finish this piece, even though I wasn't sure it was working. I tend to finish things, and have very few unfinished quilts( but still have to finish the Nanowrimo novel from last year...) I found I liked it much better when I got over the fact that I had not lined up the printed squares too neatly- I actually like the spaces that created and am thinking of doing some hand stitching in there to add to the texture , for that is what the stone bible is of course- a textured page to recall the prayer or thought or lesson. I also added in an almost emerald coloured thread to some of the squares- it seems to wash out a bit in the photo, and is much nicer in the real. The lutradur is hard to photograph because of the light- but on the other hand when light shines on it , it has a rather rich glowing effect which the camera seems to take away. The whole piece also has a rather pleasing crackling sound - like crumpling paper, which in a sense suits the image. It also feels very textures because whilst the lutradur sews very well its feel is somewhat stiffer and so the stitching really creates line sof texture. I think I will do another of these and reverse the colours- black on turquoise, using black and orange thread. the piece is 40 inches long ( 1.02 m x 27 cm) by 11 inches wide.
.Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Claire said...

I think this quilt worked out very well. I like the way the squares don't line up perfectly :-)

Felicity Grace said...

I hope you don't mind Dijanne but I've tagged you to write 20 things about yourself. I'm sure I'm not the only one who hopes you will join in!

Debra said...

I like this piece. And suspect that in person it would be quite moving.

Olga Norris said...

I am intrigued by your photo of the completed piece: what is the b/w background? Is this part of the piece itself - perhaps a series of blow-ups close-ups of the stone angel printed on white?

I like the idea of the repeated stone angel as a kind of visual rosary. I don't know, but does the number of angels correspond to the beads on a rosary? I also like the wonky squares as they feel much more natural. Ethiopian religious illustrations have always attracted me as a delightful graphic art - a kind of early comic strip, and this lovely piece of yours has a similar appeal.

I also find it interesting to see how your square of 'loops' echoes the petals on your waratah flower.

I'm interested in what you say about looking at memories in a detatched way. I have been finding that exerting an intellectual rigour to subjects somehow allows the emotional elements to contribute in a subconscious way, thus leading to a much better piece of work for me. I wish you fun and success.