Sunday, December 19, 2004

African Dyed Fabrics


African dyed fabrics Posted by Hello
When I travelled through Africa in 1990 I fell in love with the indigo dyed textiles of western Africa. The fabrics are a visual feast despite using something as simple as tie dye. The two pieces on the left I purchesd in Africa the other two pieces I bought off Maggie Relph, whose website I cannot locate at the moment, but who sells wonderful African fabrics. One of the pieces has a stitched resist. I think what I love about the African resist dyed fabrics is their spontaneity, and a kind of "roughness" of the technique, and yet the cloth is fun and exhuberant. Yesterday was market day at Apollo Bay- it could have been better but it could also have been worse. Fortunately we were in the shade as it got very hot. And then there was family and friends over for a barbecue. I love the long days at this time of year, and the fact that you can sit outside and enjoy the night sky.

No comments: