Saturday, June 20, 2009

Lovely Lutradur






I haven't fallen off the planet but the power supply to my computer did and I was left computerless for five days as the necessary repairs were carried out. This put a considerable dent in the week but perhaps it was for the best as last week the contract arrived for the publication of Lovely lutradur written by Marion Barnett and myself in French. We had discussed it eons ago with Editions de Saxe and as we had heard nothing I had assumed that maybe they were no longer interested. Wrong..... but alas I had sold some of the work we photographed for the cd and I could no longer track it all down. And of course the publishers want to take their own phtographs. So I had to recreate quite a few of the smaller pieces. I decided as long as the subject matter was similar I didn't think it mattered it the work wasn't exactly the same.

So I sewed and sewed to get everything ready for the courier by Thursday afternoon. Thankfully my machine behaved, the twelve weight threads that I am trialing for Aurifil proved to be a godsend ( these are brilliant for doing satin stitch binding and quilting- I hope they do decide to go ahead with producing the threads), and surprisingly some of the pieces turned out better than those I did first time around. I don't really revisit work but I think the little stone angels piece and the boabab tree are better the second time around. The fabric I lay behind the printed tree on the lutradur proved to be particularly effective for creating interesting texture.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Kristin L said...

Lovely indeed. The beobab tree is wonderful.

Vicki W said...

These are beautiful!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

The work is brilliant and vibrant. Congratulations on the book and the work!

jude said...

what is it with computers lately? a string of problems everywhere. but there is always stitching to be done...

Beena said...

These are gorgeous pieces!

t said...

Hi Dijanne,
Just found your blog from spiritcloth..
I bought some beautiful cloth from you at anglesea about six years ago, and I still treasure it...love your quilts...beautiful.