Thursday, July 03, 2008

Will I Finish it?

I had a bit of a shock today. My mother who never rings on her mobile phone, rang to say she and her partner had had an accident on their annual trek up north to warmer climes for the winter months. Fortunately they were not injured but very badly shaken and lucky nothing had happened to them, but their caravan was a write off- so they have had to abandon their trip.Thank goodness they weren't injured .

I have been looking at this Roman motif from Palmyra- i was intending it for a smaller piece for my exhibition but I am not sure I like it well enough- I am not sure there is sufficient contrast- though in the darker areas of the image more stitching will go in. My Travelllers Blanket makes slow progress- I almost feel guilty sitting and hand sewing on it- but it is a part of the story I am trying to tell and connects some areas of what i want to exhibit. Plus it's growing on me as it grows in size- I have to do 72 of those little embroidered squares ( 72 seems to be my destiny number - given my book is also 72 ways) and then hand quilt he whole thing. it will measure about 1 metre by 1 metre 20 or so.

I would have moved things into the shed had it stopped drizzling- we are being subjected to an Antarctic blast the like of which we haven't had for awhile, and being Gellibrand, drizzle capital of Australia ( or nearly so) it's been clammy cold, the type of cold that seeps into your bones and imagination.

6 comments:

Jobove - Reus said...

very good blog, congratulations
regard from Reus Catalonia Spain
thank you

Sarah E. said...

I've followed your work for rather a many year now, but I have to say about this piece -- now THAT is fascinating! Thank you so much for sharing!

Shirley Goodwin said...

I am enjoying your travellers' blanket. I live somewhere it doesn't rain too much as I HATE those cold wet days.

Anonymous said...

Hi! Dijanne,

I know what you mean about the cold drizzly rain.

Your Roman motif reminds me of those worn carvings on old ruined buildings I think it will look good on you Travellers blanket.

Judy.

Aussie Jo said...

The traveller's blanket is a great idea, a future heirloom!!!! I love the colours in your new piece, maybe a thicker black border would help??

Rachel Biel said...

I'm glad your mother is OK! What a scare!