Wednesday, November 07, 2007

St Pierre d'Albigny


When I was in Europe recently, I went to see a friend, Margo Bimler, a Kiwi living in France- for a few days . She lives in the Haute Savoie in France near Grenoble. The scenery is spectacular- I am sure this is one of the areas where they invented chocolate boxes! And what was even better , despite snow and bad weather the previous few days we had absolutely glorious sunny weather. We had a play with a lot of dyeing and printing techniques ( I don't always get to play as much as I would like as I have to make work to earn my living) and we had a play with breakdown printing which is all the rage at the moment. I must admit I did this technique about 15 years ago with an Aussie called Sharon Muir and it was called polychromatic printing then- and she did it on silk. To be fair the breakdown printing does allow you to do more than one print because of the thickening of the dyes that you paint onto the screen which creates a resist in its own right, but the method is exactly the same. I have even made some backgrounds for some of my very early quilts using the polychromatic system. So it was fun to do again- and really gave me some food for thought. So I have been patiently waiting for fabric and dye to arrive- yes really patiently.....blue and black dye is not enough!But the silk is here!


Both cats are sold. They are about 10-11 inches high.

3 comments:

Paula In Pinetop said...

Love it. Expressive. Makes me what to touch, hold, secret away in my pocket and hope you don't notice it is missing !!!!!

Karoda said...

everything old becomes new again, eh?! this piece of fabric is timeless.

hcg said...

Took me time to read all the comments, but I really love the article. It proved to be very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also engaged! I’m sure you had joy writing this article.