Saturday, January 27, 2007

More Silk



The rock tieing method is something I learnt from Robina Summers of Wildscarves in the workshops we did at Samson Hill. I went up to Melbourne again during the week and again there were not enough students-I don't think I covered the cost of my petrol. Since the first panel was a little too short I have dyed some more ( and i would sell the first panel- but unfortunately I cut a couple of small nicks in the silk cutting off the thread and then the question is what too charge in any case as it is very labour intensive) So I did a second one- I tie each rock individually- I quite like it, but it is not as bluish green as the first. When I mentioned to Robina I had cut little nicks into the silk she suggested just winding from one rock to the next instead of tieing off each rock- which i did- but I find the patterning a bit less distinctive. I haven't decided which one I will use. I can hide the little nicks in the silk under stitching.
I had two pending sales fall through- argggh they were of biggish pieces ,unfortunately this is going to make our stay in Syria dour indeed.There isn't anything I can do about it. These are the ups and downs of what i do, feast and famine as they say.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dijanne,

Beautiful pieces of silk, remind me of abstract Peacock tails.

Judy.

margaret said...

Can you use rubber bands instead of tying with thread -- a separate band for each rock?

Carol said...

I love the silk, the colours are just gorgeous. I use marbles to tie dye and instead of tying with thread I use elastic bands. You can wind them really tightly and I think it gives a great effect. I used to nick the fabric when removing the thread so moved to the rubber bands.