Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Gilgamesh's Horse Rug



Gilgamesh's Rug is done! I am not sure if I shall call it that - but maybe I shall have a year of making rugs rather than art quilts LOL! it measures 50 cm wide by 140 cm long. I ran out of steam once I got halfway- I was uncertain about whether there was sufficient contrast or whether there was enough for a stand alone piece. In the end I am glad I finished because now that I see the whole I like it- it certainly is fit for a king and his horse! I have the other half of the fabric left and I think Galgamesh's friend Enkidu needs one as well. I used over 2,000 metres of embroidery rayon for the top and it is very heavily stitched- i thought about adding some beads , but that would be way too uncomfortable for a horse rider and well i quite like the texture as it is.

It is so hot today that my machine simply stopped dead- mild moment of panic but then I have driven machines to a screeching halt before in the heat.

I am also back to the 10,000 step program, I never really stopped but the amount of walking I did dwindled and dwindled until sometimes I was walking only once a week. It feels good to be back and today i did a dedicated 10,000 step walk- I got up early before the heat set in.Then i watered the garden- we are only allowed to water between 8-10 am or the same hours at night .

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dijanne,

A lovely piece of work, unusual but beautifully textured.

Judy

Jen said...

Hi Dijanne,

I love, love, love this - I agree with you that it is just right as it is with that fabulous texture. I've been thinking about you a lot lately and hopefully sending you some good wishes...

Jen

smarcoux said...

First off YAAA to be back to your walking that is good and I have slacked a bit so THANK YOU I too will be back at it again as well... I did however do a over 3 mile walk on the weekend and did some step stuff last night. So YOUR ON .. keep up the good work.
As for the piece I may have to agree with you on if it has enough contrast or not but its hard to tell from the picture. I think it must be seen in person!!! HINT HINT

Sandy

Del said...

Fabulous! That luscious color and your wonderful stitching - it is a knockout. Del in SCalifornia

Joyce said...

The rug is perfect. I agree that beads are unnecessary. The stitching is gorgeous and the color is wonderful. I love it.

Helen said...

That stitching is fabulous, such wonderful texture. It is finished!

Anonymous said...

Dijanne,
It's a beautiful piece, sometimes low contrast is good :-) it looks so very 'touchable' you'll have to fence it off when you exhibit it!
best wishes,
Karen in Coolamon

margaret said...

That is just SO gorgeous - very worth the thread and time and effort.

Nicky said...

This is absolutely beautiful...as ever you produce something unique, special, gorgeous. Bravo!

nblackthorn said...

I admire your dedication, perseverance and level of stitching. This is one of the better Horse Rugs I have seen. Well done!