Monday, January 22, 2007

Gilgamesh's Forest Rug




Ok the silk is dyed! To my great surprise rocks actually take on dye- the ones I used anway - they are now a blue green colour!

The fabric is as I dreamed it- I wanted this to be Gilgamesh's rug to take into the forest to fight the giant Humbaba- yep it has that light filtering through the canopy kind of feel. However it is 4 inches ( about 10 cm ) too short- arrgggh! I could put a border on it with lebanon cedars but that was not how I had envisioned it so I need to think on that for a bit. So i tied another piece and painted it but made another booboo- instead of mixing cornflower blue dye ( and there was some left over from last night) I added 200% black dye instead- I wondered why it looked so dark when I painted it on. it is drying now so I can steam it- but I had to reverse my thinking on this one so I have no idea what it will look like.

Someone asked me how do I get a visitor from Kazakstan- I have no idea. And I must admit that paying to have the country flags showing on my blog is a bit decadent ( it wasn't very expensive) but I love to travel and I love learning where people are from and well i would love to see that little list grow to 100 countries. it intrigues me how people from little heard of places stumble across blogs- are they into textiles or simply rambling around the internet?But I love it when people say "hi" like Alexandra from Romania- now there is a place I would like to go to one day.

All the travel arrangements are finalised- just have to apply for visas for Syria. We are spending two weeks in Spain- Catalunya to be exact ( and there are a few blog readers from Catalunya) in a little village called Rabos- with a 12th century romanesque church and a little village cafe.It is not far from Figueres so i will get to see the Dali house this time and the theatre in Figueres and we will take the train into Barcelona- it is by far the simplest way to get there. The flat is small but the village looks so picturesque i don't care and it was very reasonably priced as we always travel on a budget and as I have to go to England to teach during our stay it is more comfortable for Collin and the kids.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That fabric looks so lush and wonderful!

Anonymous said...

That fabric is beautiful!

Del said...

I just discovered if the cursor is on the flag it shows a map of the country's location. Cool!

Joyce said...

The fabric is gorgeous! What type of dye did you use. I have done quite a lot of silk painting with Dupont dyes but never thought of wrapping rocks. I love the effect.
We went to the Dali Museum a few years ago and it was fabulous. Be sure to check out the ceilings. Someone told us that before we went and good thing. There is a lot of art on the ceiling. Barcelona is fantastic too. I love the Gaudi buildings.

cj said...

Gorgeous!!!

Could you re-wrap the black and discharge it with bleach or discharge paste then over-dye it?

Sue Krekorian said...

Another stunning piece of cloth - it will be amazing when you've worked more magic upon it....

Coincidentally just got back from a long weekend in Barcelona, where we rented an apartment in the old city. It is a fabulous city. My favourite visits were to La Boquiera market just off La Ramblas, the Cathedral, the Sagrada Familia and the Parc Guell. Will be blogging it soon. Well worth the 2 euros to take lifts up the towers in the cathedral and Sagrada Familia To get the rooftop views, and the SG museum in the crypt has an excellent exhibition, including Gaudi and Nature. However, we loved just wandering and absorbing the atmosphere.

Dianne said...

The piece is absolutly gorgeous, you are the best, only you would think to use rocks, brilliant..
Have a fablous time in Rabos it looks like a fanastic place.

Anonymous said...

Oh my...the fabric you have dyed and painted is stunning!
It's useless to say that I wish I lived in Australia to be able to take those workshops with you, or at least to travel to France this year to see the Sense of Place exhibition in Palaiseau.
I really hope that you will visit and show your art in Romania one day!
I am visiting your blog daily, you are an inspiration, though I am not an artist. Thank you, Dijanne.

Anonymous said...

You know, if it's too short I would GLADLY take that piece of fabric off your hands!!

I am so jealous of your traveling....I want so much to visit Syria. I live it vicariously thru Jenny....

Have a wonderful trip. I can't wait to see your pictures and read about it!

teri

Anonymous said...

i have found your blog through fellow bloggers and i am happy to watch your adventures in textiles.

Nicky said...

Re going to Romania - DO IT!! Romania is definitely my most favourite place on earth. Transylvania is gorgeous. Well the whole of Romania is gorgeous but particularly the Carpathian mountains...sigh...

Shirley Goodwin said...

Yes, please Dijanne, tell us how you did the rocks. You said "paint" and "dye" - were you painting with thickened dye, or using fabric paint? I think the effect is wonderful.