Monday, June 26, 2006

Deni Quilters Symposium

These seedpods are of the jackaranda tree ( I hope I have got it right)- they were too beautiful to leave behind! Jacakaranda trees line the street in which the Multi Arts Centre in Deniliquin is located and where I taught on the weekend.I had a most enjoyable time- as Deniliquin is close to where I did a lot of my growing up ( Jerilderie). Country hospitality was at its best- the food was wonderful and the students who had come from all over enthusiastic.
This classroom is much like the one I found myself in when we first moved the Jerilderie from the Netherlands. It is now a "museum" room in The Peppin Centre in Deniliquin which is the old primary school. The only difference was that the lids on my desk which I shared lifted up and we really did use real ink and nib pens.And of course could not resist a photo of the inscribed graffiti on the desks.... I am intrigued why the glasses and the head with crown should be so distinctive in this little tableau.
And last but not least some of the work produced by students- I took a lot of lino-cuts and Indian woodstamps for people to use and we tried some African painting as well later in the day.It made me itch to do some printing again- maybe later today if the weather fines up- although it is looking so grey and murky I don't like my chances.Someone sent me a page from Nouvelle Patchwork- the France Patchwork Association magazine and there is a double page devoted to the exhibition I had with Annette and Robert Claxton earlier this year- one page of my work and one page of theirs- it looks very nice!

I shall be back in France in September for Val d'Argent. I will be sitting at the Changing exhibition curated by Thelma Smith, and one of my lace pieces will be on display. After that i shall probably be going to Palestine to teach in Ramallah depending on the situation.
 Posted by Picasa

No comments: