Saturday, September 08, 2007

My Talk/Lecture

 



I have been working on my lecture- the powerpoint is done and the notes are written- just needs a nights' sleep before I do the final edit and send it for translation. I ended up with 100 slides in the presentation- some I can work /talk through fast as they show progressions form inspiration to interpretation, some not so fast as so much of my work contains stories thatare inspired byt the original textiles or traditions assocaited with textiles. But the thought that struck me was that maybe I should make a cd of the presentation with the text as appendix and sell it? Would you buy it if you had been to a lecture and someone was selling a cd of their talk?( Given off course that I might not inspire a single soul- but that's my risk)

I don't think I have ever shown an image of this quilt before which is called "At Our House Under the Stars the Tree Spirits Dwell". It is actually pieced which is a bit unusual for me :-) and is the basis of a workshop I teach called Breaking All the Rules. I am absolutely useless at making anything meet- well i can but it is a stressful experience so I would rather not go there- so this is about making nothing meet and seeing whether you can still get geometric effect.It is also inspired by the Adinkra cloths of West Africa where geometry is loose and bends all the rules but the effect certainly appeals to me- but this one is about our own story.My middle daughter drew the tree spitrits when she was four- we always used to knock on trees and ask "Is anyone home?"- it was surprising how many things are at home in a tree!
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Joyce said...

I think piecing is only fun if you bend the rules. Did you piece the border too or is that part painted? It looks fantastic however it is done.

Shirley Goodwin said...

Oooooh! True confessions time - I can't piece stuff that meets either. That's why I've found fusing so liberating. And probably also why I'm moving into even less structured work - admittedly that's only in my head at present, I haven't found my stuff yet after The Move.

Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

Don't you just love powerpoint? I have just finished one for a talk next Tuesday. I have to sleep on it as well, then edit the next day. I think your idea of putting onto a CD and selling the lecture is excellent.... it is sometimes so dificult to make adequate notes in the semi darkness of the lecture...and the printed notes are always so small.
Best Wishes
Maggie

Anonymous said...

Good luck in your European voyage, Dijanne! Have a safe trip and a great time there. I bet the lecture is perfect, as is this wonderful quilt.

Anonymous said...

I would buy the PP-presentation on cd-rom for sure, I think it's a great idea! Love the quilt btw,

Digitalgran said...

I hope you have a lovely time Dijanne. I have 2 friends who are going as well and said they would say hello to you.

Anonymous said...

Looks like I may have missed you and you've headed off again... you must have a well-stamped passport! Wish I could hear your lecture some day. I need to learn the Powerpoint thing and get my lecture transferred from "in the cloth"/haul it all with me, to digital. Then I need to do some MORE lectures...

Have a wonderful and safe trip. Will look forward to hearing about it when you're home,
Cheers, Sarah