Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Another Pomegranate Tifaifai

Once upon a time I wrote a book- called Tifaifai Renaissance. It seems like eons ago but it is actually 10 years ago. After writing the book I thought I would never make another tifaifai quilt as i was completely over it! Then a few years ago I made some more as it suited  a Roman mosaic I had seen in the  museum in Allepo, which was of a pomegranate tree.  Anyway if you cut out the positive carefully you end up with the negative as well so  you really get two quilts out of one design/piece of fabric ( well almost- you need two pieces of fabric for the backing). One of the quilts was bought by a couple, and as  they are now going through a divorce and both parties liked the quilt they have asked if I would make another in  similar colours and with the same theme.So I am making  another tifaifai- I did procrastinate a little in ordering fabric and dye. Of course the quilt will not be exactly the same as I draw the design freehand each time so that they are always a little different. I love the technique, as it seems it's symmetrical but it isn't quite and it's very forgiving.

The process, that is the cutting out is quite laborious but oh what a reward you get for the patience and perseverance. This piece measures just over 90 cm square so you can imagine there is quite a bit of cutting!

I love that you go from  a crumpled unrecognisable mess of cutout paper and fabric:

To this- laying out the design which is also quite a process with  all those fine bits:


To this tada! You never quite know how the design will work when you draw it freehand- but it always seems to work. it will change more as borders and stitching go in- but all in all a satisfying process!



4 comments:

Emmy said...

ik ben zwaar onder de indruk,,,,

Miranne said...

Just gorgeous. Love your colours and subject matter, and the very clever design.

Sewjournal said...

Beautiful!

ari said...

Reminds me of a stencil style prints.. Creative!