Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Lino cut Village Scene Done and Printed!


Yes I am a happy little vegemite right at this moment! Never mind that I was meant to be doing other things- I am really happy with the way my linocut turned out as a print, and not only that, it printed happily onto fabric ( sometimes when you have large areas of ink, fabric is not the best material on which to print and you get a certain blotchiness in the printing process).

I am also thinking I would like to make some books using this lino-cut and perhaps making others as well. I rekindled my love for lino-cutting these past two days ( just as well I need to project enthusiasm for the class notes!) I also downloaded an e-book from David Bull's website entitled Japanese Wood-Block Printing by Hiroshi Yoshida. I know lino cuts are a very poor cousin of woodblocks but on the other hand cheapness of material ,ease of carving has a lot going for them! If you do like woodblock prints ( and I have been a lover of Japanese wood block prints for a long long time- and fell in love with Monet's Japanese print decorated room at Giverny in France) please take the time to look over David Bull's extensive and highly informative website. He also has a number of publishing projects under way including traditional Japanes wood cuts, as well as his own work that he has published in a series of books. I have actually added a button to my sidebar taking you directly to the publishing site entitled Mokuhankan, as I believe in preserving this very beautiful art form, in its modern interpretations as well as in its older interpretations.


Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Eva said...

Just yesterday I rediscovered this technique as well which I haven't done for at least 40 years. But mine is a very modest attempt, compared with your beautiful print! Thanks for the links.

Leisurely Lesley said...

Hi Dijanne
Are you going to be teaching lino printing? I would be interested to know. I have done a little lino printing and love it, having also taught it to secondary students. Also did a week long class last year with Geoffrey Ricardo which I thoroughly enjoyed. And would love to do more.

Vickie Hallmark said...

Gorgeous! I have some materials languishing in a drawer. This makes me want to pull them out.

Anonymous said...

FABULOUS!!!
How big is this lino cut?
I can only find 6 X 6 inch pieces at art stores here...
I LOVE how your fabric looks with the 4 stamped areas!!!

Sharne Gregory said...

It looks fabulous. I found it quite hard to carve the lino the few times I tried it.

Aussie Jo said...

It is a beautifully clear print, I look forward to seeing your future developments with these

Anonymous said...

Wonderfull.... I love it. What are going to do next ??? hand quilting ??? Machine quilting ??? I'm waiting for the next step.....
Catherine G 78

The Idaho Beauty said...

Impressive...what a talent you are!

Kim said...

Awesome - got me all inspired now. Thank you.

Lynette Weir said...

Hi Dijanne,
Just wondered what inks you used? The material looks like silk.
Lyn

Jackie said...

I love that lino print.

Anonymous said...

Terrific! I just found your web site, and will be emailing you shortly. I rediscovered lino cutting again about 6 months ago, after many years. I remembered how much I loved it "way back then", and just hunted up the supplies and made a fresh start. I was curious as to whether there were others working in this creative medium, and found YOU. Seems we both do some "free-ranging" in mediums... great! I'm marking your blog... All the best, Elaine

Digitalgran said...

Love the lino cut!