Monday, April 12, 2010

Gypsy Blanket is it Worth the effort

I started a large collaged piece to showcase the Aurifil threads- but at every stage I have thought is it worth it.I have used the 28 weight thread cotton mako- and loving it! I have been  making whole cloth quilts or hand stitched pieces these last 18 months  and to suddenly use lots of bits of fabric has created a bit of uncertainty. I am also a bit limited by my pallete- not having that many fabrics with me- I possibly used more purple than I would ordinarily- though the piece looks more purply than it is in actuality The photos show the various stages. Stage one is collaging the fabric, stage 2 putting in the stitched lines to add more definition, and finally the free machine stitching to enhance elements.The piece is about 90 cm square so the stitching is taking ages... It is still not quite finished , and I should finish it tonight, but the last half hour or so I have been fighting with the machine so I think it's time to call it a day for the time being.

                                           Stage 1

                                            Stage 2


As you can see on the last photo the stitching is heavy- but is it worth it?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dijanne, what a wonderful piece of art. I love it. I belive that this was a lot of work, but it was worth it. Have a nice week, Inge

Corryna said...

It is surely worth it. It really adds texture and style to it. And it adds contrast and detail. Love it.

Art Weaver said...

This piece is vibrant with energy and life. The colours, patterns and stitch link everything into a cohesive whole. Love it!

Judy Alexander said...

Love this. The colors are great and I have always loved heavy stitching. Well worth the effort.

Diane said...

The stitching is totally worth it. It makes it come alive

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Absolutely. What a stunner. The heavy stitching is perfect for it.

magsramsay said...

Why don't you think it's worth it? What don't you like about it?
Is it that it doesn't match you original intentions?
Sometimes you get too close and need to be able to put it aside for a while and come back to it with a fresh eyes.
It looks rich to me but it's your own view that's important.

Anonymous said...

In this current piece, beautiful as it is, I think that there is too much competition between the vibrant colours of the fabrics and the heavy stitching. I prefer the one inspired by Jerilderie creek where the stitching defines it; there I think you've taken machine quilting to a new level. Joanne

Liz said...

Wow, yes, definitely worth it! Love those colours together....

Dini said...

Wauw, heel erg mooi!!!
De kleuren zijn super!!!

dini

aykayem said...

yes - it was worth it ... some like it, some don't (and I agree with both sides - LOL - I like it but there are some bits I would have done differently if it was me ;-) the good thing is - you have one more thingy to exhibit/sell/whatever, and it seems you have discovered something more about what you like making and what you don't ...

btw, I have actually finished my KISS thingy (and I had fun doing it and really like what I ended up making ;-)... I have not taken/uploaded a photo anywhere or blogged about it yet though - hopefully I will get around to doing that in the next week or 2 (in between all the other forty eleven things I am doing/trying to get done - lol)

Shirley said...

Hi Dijanne, it was great seeing you today in Essen, and also beeing able to have a look at your quilts irl was wonderfull! On my weblog I posted some photo's of yesterday and today.

Karen S said...

Yes! It was worth it. All that stitching takes it from pretty and mundane to spectacular. I especially love the blue lines running through.