Friday, January 14, 2011

Queensland- Premiers' Flood Relief Fund

The plight of thousands and thousands of Queenslanders in the face of the most devastating floods has finally made me pull out my sewing machine. So many have lost everything , and so many in the small communities in the Lockyer valley are affected by the loss of life due to the flash flood.
Some years ago  i made this little quilt inspired by rockpools at Turtle Beach ( also known as Mon Repose) near Bundaberg in Queensland, where we had a wonderful holiday. Bundaberg too was affected by floods. However I always felt it  needed something more but it was already heavily stitched and I couldn't work out what it was that it needed. Finally today as I was sorting to my quilts that i have here it dawned on me it needed more graphic line to accent the shapes. So I spent the afternoon putting in a lot of black stitching to  create more contrast.

The first photo shows some areas where I have not yet stitched with black thread. The photo below is of the finished  black stitching. This quilt measures 20 inches by 24 inches.

I am donating this quilt for auction for the 


 Toni Coward of Make it Perfect is coordinating a fantastic initiative which addresses our instincts to make or do something AND raises funds to assist the flood victims. She has organised an online auction with all proceeds going to the Premier’s Flood Relief Appeal.You can see more of Toni's effort by clicking on the premiers' Flood Relief Fund  button in the sidebar.

This is how the auction works:

How this action works:
1. Bidding starts at $50 Australian.
2. Place your bid by adding a comment here stating how much you are willing to offer to own Barrier reef. Your bid must be greater than the previous bid.
3. All bids must be in whole dollar increments and will be taken to be in Australian dollars.
4. The auction is open to all and the price will include postage to any address worldwide.
5. The auction is now open and closes at midnight on the 24th of January 2011 (Sydney, Australian time).
6. I will contact the winner at the conclusion of the auction. The winner must commit to sending their bid to the Premier’s Flood Relief Appeal and provide an email receipt as evidence of payment. Non-austrailan donors can still donate by credit card using the online payment link or there is also information about how to do an international bank transfer.
7. Once I have evidence of payment When the Water Subsides will be posted to its new owner.

I hope you can open your hearts to help those who have need.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Dijanne,

$100 - I love it, but I will be outbid! Good luck

Unknown said...

$150 - me too Sally. I'm sure I will be outbid also but even if I am at least we are pushing the donation amount up a bit :-)

Lindi said...

Love the quilt and I also love what you two are doing. I'm in the same boat. I know I'll be outbid because it is worth more than I can afford, but I will bid $170

Ruth said...

$200 Thanks Dijanne, all of us Queenslanders appreciate your support.The past few weeks will not be forgotten quickly and hopefully with support like yours the burden is eased.

Rebecca said...

Hi i would like to bid $250 please thanks Dijanne.
cheers Rebecca

julz said...

$300 ta .well back to making some quilt tops for the poor kids wish I could get there and really help thanks

Marshall Lynch said...

wow very nice textile.
Edina MN Realty | Christmas Gift Baskets

Dijanne Cevaal said...

Hi Julz- looks like you are the winner of this acution- Thank you so much for supporting the find raising effort! I look forward to getting your details.

Fernando de Noronha said...

I have a blog and I'm

www.vamoscaminharjuntos.blogspot.com back to the

disaster, which claimed many lives in Rio de

Janeiro. This blog contains the list of missing

persons and those who have died tragically. Pass

the blog address to your friends to see if there

is a friend or maybe even a relative.
I became his follower. Wish you also follow my blog. Thanks.

Fernando de Noronha said...

I have a blog and I'm

www.vamoscaminharjuntos.blogspot.com back to the

disaster, which claimed many lives in Rio de

Janeiro. This blog contains the list of missing

persons and those who have died tragically. Pass

the blog address to your friends to see if there

is a friend or maybe even a relative.
I became his follower. Wish you also follow my blog. Thanks.