Sunday, July 04, 2010

Olive Tree

I love the olive trees in the Languedoc landscape and as the summer sun is  sizzling all the grasses, and the wheat fields are ripening the landscape is turning  into a myriad of subtle yellowish/terracotta colours. The grey of the olive leaves creating contrast and the gnarled old trunks of the trees whispering of other times- this is a  land rich in history. I am thinking of  making a big olive tree quilt and thought I would stitch this little one to trial some colours - and it is an imagined olive tree.

I stitched with the Aurifil Lano thread onto khadi cloth . The piece measures 14 inches by 14 inches ( 35 cm square) and is for sale for 100 Euros inclusive of postage.

4 comments:

Clare Wassermann said...

What wonderful stitching - I love the cloth - just right for a gnarled olive

Joei Rhode Island said...

I too love the stitching. Wonderful Dijanne. Hope you are enjoying your jaunt through Europe.

lisette said...

that's a beautifully tortured looking olive! such beuatiful work...

what's the khadi like to stitch on? it's on my list of things to try :)

Fiona Wright said...

just beautiful Dijanne, humble old khadi really is wonderful here. fits the picture too, hand made for an old tree that has been lovingly tended for centuries
cheers
Fiona