Saturday, January 30, 2010

Lino-cut Printing

I have been preparing the fabrics for one of my Southern Lands pieces. I have had to create new fabrics because alas i don't have my stash here. I have also been working on making new lino-cuts, as I also left all my lino-cuts behind and am slowly building up a whole new series of lino-cuts. My quilts for southern lands are largely about rivers and trees- the two are very connected in my mind, so I wanted to make a very stylised tree but with a round shape at the same time ( which complements the other work I am doing- rounds shapes and circles is a recurring motif). The first images is of different lino-cuts I made for the round 


shape. I tried various sizes and different designs. I made the middle one first , but it looked too much like an  eye, then I made the bottom  one but it looked like an orange segment of a flower so I ended up using the top one. I am still not  100% happy but can see with stitching it might be interesting. I then printed other

fabrics with circles as well. The dark fabric is an African print that my friend had- you cannot see it from the photos but it has just the right colour of turquoise in it- as my tree shapes are printed in turquoise colour bright  from Trapsuutjies.

And if you ar ein need of some adventure or  a change of scene and pace- don't forget that Creative Arts Safaris is doing a tour of Syria from 15 to 28 May of this year. I will be one of the tour leaders- we almost have enough numbers but could do with one or two more. The idea is to be inspired and to create as well- we will be visiting lots of different textile inspired things as well as stitcihing with some refugee women.And we will creating  your own versionj of a travellers blanket!

1 comment:

Allen Smith said...

I’ve been browsing on-line much more than three hours as of late, nevertheless I don’t ever discovered any appealing posting like your site. It’s fairly worth adequate for me. In my opinion, if most of web site owners and folks produced great content material material as you do, the web will probably be a lot way more useful than ever before.
sinus infection home remedy