Thursday, August 08, 2024

 Nature & Nurture

Happy to be part of an upcoming exhibition at Arc Yinnar with Jenny Peterson, Cheryl Cook and Marita Anderson entitled Nature & Nurture. We are printmakers and textile artists so there is sure to be something for everyone. The opening is this Saturday 10 August from 2-4 for drinks and nibbles and you are most welcome to come and join us.


We will  be having a hands on Artist talk and demo on Sunday August 18 from 1-3. If you decide to try the hands on there is a small fee of $5 for materials .

I am actually showing old work in the exhibition, mainly because I have rarely shown it, and yet it tells part of my story as an immigrant to Australia but also the story of immigration within my family history as far as I can ascertain. Some more materials have come on-line but essentially the story is unchanged from what I knew when I made this work back in 2003/2004. I had intended to make a new piece but didn't in the end as I have a lot of other deadlines and I simply ran out of time. I did make a booklet telling the story to some extent  as memories of a dutch childhood and an Australian childhood. My 10 th year earth side was neatly divided in half when my parents immigrated- old enough to be conscious of self and yet still a child.




I hand printed the cover of the booklet and printed it with riso screens I had when I originally created this work- a letter from my grandmother to my mother and poppies. Things are hanging a little differently than I had imagined but that is fine- things change. These works are created by trapping riso printed silk between layers of tulle which is then machine stitched, so there is transparency.


Otherwise I have been doing a lot of hand stitching in preparation for a course I will be teaching for the Stitch Club for Textile.Artist.Org- it will go live in January of 2025 but all the prep has to be done before September.




Don't forget I do still have printed fabric for sale as well as some of my artwork. It would be lovely to sell some things!

1 comment: