Monday, April 02, 2018

Traveller's Blankets and Aussie Bush Project Going to Berry Retreat

A very quick  post as I am heading out to the airport to deliver some of my travellers blankets for an exhibition with Crossing Oceans a project organised by Jane Rollason in Prague.

But meanwhile am excited to announce that  the travellers blankets will be exhibited alongside the Aussie Bush Project at the Berry Retreat in Berry on 18-19 August so  you will be able to see them up close and personal. They are so different in real life as compared to photographs which show none of the texture.

I will also be teaching the travellers blanket class at the  Berry retreat- this  is the only time this year that I am teaching this class person to person- and it is very different  simply because  of the creation of texture and movement which you can't really see with the online class. I will also be teaching linocutting- so you cna make your very own linocuts which we will embellish after the retreat. Making your own linocuts enables you to make your own unique fabrics which can be incorporated into other work or embroidered any old how!

 Here is a little of the history of the blankets which also alludes to a history of travel and exploration like  the great travellers of the past like Marco Polo- if you were in the entourage and you could not write how would you have captured the  glorious textiles you encountered ( and which was mostly the reason for the journey)
Travellers Blankets (Plaids Nomads) began life in the early 2000's when I made my first one with fabrics I had purchased in Africa in 1990. Since then I have made various ones over the years , as they are a long process of stitching motifs and the background. I try and think of them as stories about a journey, as they are invested with heart and soul and often carry inspirations of my travels and many of them have been on journeys themselves in my bag or suitcase.
They marry my love of fabric and thread and storytelling. I would never write such an elaborate story but with stitch I can make dozens of stories each of itself but also a part of a larger piece. Some tell the story of journeys, for example the urchin one is about Atauro Island , others are about heritage and exploration.

And here are six of the finished blankets thus far.... there will be another four I hope!









I am also starting another on-line course for those not lucky enough to get to the Berry Retreat. It starts on 7April so there is still time to enroll! Just email me for the information sheet

22 comments:

Penny said...

Oh I wish. Life without money at our age is interesting. The hoops you go through with Centre link. Just to say I still haven't finished stitching my travellers blanket, I did your first on line class, but it has lots of special patches and keeps me warm on my chair in winter, one day I will finish the stitching.no where near as lovely as yours but special non the less. Thank you.

Joanne said...

Beautiful work Dijanne

S Penelope said...

Your work is beautiful, very personal and inspires me to take off in my own direction. I love the idea of stitched memories, I could definitely make many of them with my memories! At the moment I'm trying to be good and finish other projects which are half made but all the time my mind is on deciding which memories I want my first traveller's blanket to hold.

ELFI said...

magnifiques créations!

OGEN Infosystem (P) Limited said...

Nice Blog, thank you so much for sharing this blog with us. Visit for
Top 5 Web Development Company in India

mikerock said...

thanks for sharing it Google Docs auf PC

mikerock said...

i found it so amazing ImmobilienScout24

mikerock said...

it so amazing Plum

TrippyTag said...

Good information, thanks for sharing with us. Visit Trippytag for Adventure Activities in Uttarakhand and Magical Manali Adventure Tour Packages in your budget.
Best Adventure Activities in Uttarakhand

الامانة لخدمات التنظيف ومكافحة الحشرات بحائل said...

شركة نقل عفش بجدة
شركة نقل عفش بمكة
شركة نقل عفش بالباحة
واحة الخليج لخدمات نقل العفش بجدة ومكة

نقل عفش بجدة - ارخص شركة نقل عفش بجدة - افضل شركة نقل عفش بجدة - شركات نقل عفش بجدة - شركة نقل عفش بجدة عمالة فلبينية - شركات نقل عفش بجدة - شركات نقل اثاث بجدة - افضل شركة نقل اثاث بجدة - شركات نقل عفش واثاث بجدة - شركة نقل اثاث بجدة رخيصة - شركة نقل عفش بمكة - افضل شركات نقل عفش بمكة - رقم شركة نقل عفش بجدة - ارقام شركات نقل عفش بجدة - دليل شركات نقل عشف بجدة

Vipul Singh said...

Your blog is very informative and you always update it in order to provide us such kind of knowledge, thanks for the help!
Kanag
Top Ranking School in Ghaziabad
Hearing loss treatment in Meerut
Online Marketing Company in Meerut

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am following your blog for the last 2 years, thanks for sharing this informative content.

Leads nurturing is important in the sales process. The CRM software in Delhi is one of the vital keys for managing your prospects from prospecting to conversion. This way you're able to analyze the customer behavior, come out with all the very best sales offers, and fulfill employees' responsibilities during the sales cycle.

Ankit Rautela said...

A brand identity is a unique and timeless concept that can be created with the tools we offer and the expertise of the people we work with. Your marketing style and brand can have a major impact on the market, causing everyone's attention to be devoted to you instead of your competitors. Through our branding services, you can make genuine connections with your intended audience.

Digital Marketing Services
Branding Services

bsnssexpert said...

Buy Lehenga Online | Latest Lehenga Design | Ghagra Choli | Ethnic Plus

Looking to buy Lehenga choli online? Shop the latest collection of indian lehenga choli online for women. ✓Best Quality ✓Free Shipping ✓Lowest Rate

Visit here:- online lehenga india

Rahul Saxena said...

Kuchesar Fort
wedding destination near Delhi
Tourist Places Near Delhi
Uk spouse visa in london/
<a href="https://www.asherandtomar.co.uk/transfer-of-property-in-london/> Transfer of Property in London </a>

lisa said...

hgjgh

lisa said...

wedding venues in greater noida
Sarai Kale Khan Cremation Ground
YouTube Description
Green park Crematorium Ground

lisa said...

clinicviva

Last Journey said...

how to read my girlfriends whatsapp messages without her knowing
youtube channel description generator
https //spotify.com/pair tv code

pranisha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Indian Rani said...

Thanks for sharing this valuable information with us. I hope you will share some more info about best looking styles for men. Please keep sharing. Lehenga

Anonymous said...


Artattackk is a well-knowned Website Designing Company In Delhi having 11+years of experience.