Saturday, January 13, 2018

Urchin Traveller's Blanket


This Urchin Traveller's Blanket has been inspired by early morning walks on the beach at Atauro Island, it was the only time of day you could walk because it was very hot the whole time I was there. Each morning I would hope to find an urchin- I just love the shapes and patterning. There is a zillion colonial knots  as the piece measures 60cm x 85 cm .I wasn't looking to make them anatomically correct- just the feeling that they inspired. The background stitching is done with a feather stitch in a very thin silk thread as I did not want the stitching to overwhelm the urchins.. When you hold this piece in your hands it feels amazing and matched my delight and amazement of encountering the urchins on the beach.

There is still time to join the online  Traveller's Blanket class which starts on 21 January. I will be  joining actively into the stitching this time as I have many traveller's blankets to make this year for an exhibition at the end of June.  The class fee is $75AUS and will encourage you to tell your own story using simple shapes and simple embroidery stitches. Email me if you are interested in joining and  I will send an information sheet.

The photo below is of the back of the  TB. I am  really quite chuffed with the back- it has a very different feel to the front , and I like the way things have become a bit more abstracted. The last two photos are closeup so you can perhaps see the texture of this piece.




 Now onto the french roadside weeds and grapevines travellers blanket. Have to print some fabric first and then  more stitching!

3 comments:

Penny said...

I love the close up of your urchin travellers blanket. Beautiful.

Jenny M said...

The beautiful colour of the orange is what first caught my eye, with this piece. But those circle shapes & the texture of your stitches are just glorious.

libby said...

I love the feather stitched background! Of course, I love the urchins too ☺️☺️