Monday, April 03, 2017

Felled by a Cold and Travellers Blanket On-line Class

The week has flown and I have been sick most of it. I was teaching free motion  quilting and applique to beginner groups in Toulouse and I lost my voice- trying to speak in french with no voice proved quite challenging but we got through.

Back in Le Triadou now before heading off to Germany on Wednesday to teach some workshops to much more advanced free motion quilters and am still finishing the samples.

I did finish the linocut I started last week and have printed off trial prints, but as my preferred printing pad these days is newspaper ( about 6-8 sheets) I am holding off printing more until tomorrow when I can get a newspaper.

The linocut took quite some carving as it measures about  30 cm x 45 cm. it was inspired  by my Travellers' Blanket with Circles which will be coming out as a book in August or September in French
.
 Once I print fabric I will then embroider it- I think I will try with machine stitching first seeing I have the Bernina here for the time being. The print below is on transparent paper- just to see how the print works.




And then I printed on fabric. I think it has lots of possibilities- now to just find the time!

There is still time to join the Travellers' Blanket on-line class.  Lessons are delivered as pdf files that you can print and include dyeing instructions and story ideas and stitching ideas with closeup photos of the  traveller's Blankets in Blue and the one with circles. I also set up a private Facebook group  for discussion and I keep this open for some time after the workshop as I realise hand stitching is a long process. I view the travellers' blankets a way of telling stories without words- so your stitching becomes your way of telling the story. The cost of the class is $60AUS

2 comments:

Robbie said...

VERY nice!!! Impressive and inspiring!

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

The most important thing I read (just kidding) was when I find the time!
That is the key for so many of us.