Monday, June 21, 2010

Nimes and Leysin

It has been a busy week. Last Monday we went to Nimes to have another look at the Arena and I must admit i did not notice the matador  statue ( I guess it was too cold last time). The statue is of Nimeno II ( Christian Montcouquiol) . I love the patterning that the sculptor has created on the matador clothing with all sorts of found objects and I love to see the way tourists interact with such things.

I also taught  at Leysin at a Art textile and Patchwork retreat. The other teacher was Liz Berg and it was lovely to meet in person someone's work i have looked at over the years. The event was organised by Christiane Studer and  participants came from far and wide. The accommodation was excellent as was the food- but  we did not see the famed scenery, in fact one could have thought there was only fog in Switzerland! It was a pleasure to teach the same students for 3 and a half days and get a sense of their working rhythms,  their ideas, their inspirations and enthusiasm.

And on that note- I shall be going back to Australia later this year ( though I will make trips back to Europe from time to time) so if you would like to do a workshop please contact me! I still have some times available though  my calender is starting to fill. We will also be doing workshops at le Triadou; dyeing, transfer printing with lutradur, some inspiration in fabrication in July and August ( there is a swimming pool here to cool off ). If you are interested please email me.

I am also coming up to my 1,000th blog post and my 300,000th reader- the events look like they may coincide- who would have thought that would happen when I started blogging???

No comments: